Monday, October 3, 2011

10 Weirdest Laws in the World

Laws are in place to keep everyone in order and to keep everyone safe. The law system dates back as far as ancient Egypt. In the old days the King’s decisions were passed as the law. Nowadays though the laws are agreed in government after lengthy discussions. However, there are some laws which still exist that are simply baffling. These have either slipped through the systems unnoticed for years or the men and women in government simply think they are still relevant in today’s society. Make up your own mind’s after reading the 10 weirdest laws in the world.

1. In France, it is forbidden to call a pig Napoleon


Image source - Zazzle
Good job George Orwell was British then! The author could have been in big trouble otherwise for calling one of his pigs Napoleon in Animal Farm. Who knows, perhaps the infamous French leader had a real distaste for pork or maybe the word “pig” was used as his favourite insult? “Hey you, English pig, get away from my ‘orse!”

2. In Ohio, it is against state law to get a fish drunk


Image source - Whatdidyoubringme
Is this where the expression, “Drink Like A Fish”, comes from then? Maybe the fish in Ohio used to have severe drinking problems. They would roam the state as one giant school of fish looking for their next drink. In a state of inebriation they would steal road signs, copulate openly in the local parks, fight each other in bars, and pass out in the streets in their own vomit. Intimidated for so long the people of Ohio decided enough was enough and they slowly began to restore order after the introduction of this law. That’s how I heard it anyway…

3. In the UK, a pregnant woman can legally relieve herself anywhere she wants – even in a policeman’s helmet


Image source - Worldmustbecrazy
To all pregnant women who are reading this: if you live in the UK or next time you happen to be in the UK whilst pregnant, please remember to take advantage of this law. If you see a policeman and are desperate to pee, grab that helmet off their head and relieve yourself in it. The policeman will not be able to arrest you. It is their duty to uphold the law. They will simply have to wait politely for you to finish so they can have their helmet back.

4. In Vermont, women must obtain written permission from their husbands to wear false teeth


Image source - Repairstemcell
“Dear wife, I have been meaning to talk to you about this matter for some time now. However, as the law requires, I must write to you instead, despite you being sat next to me as I write this. I have noticed recently that your teeth have gone missing. As they were your adult teeth and will not grow back I hereby give you my permission to obtain a false set of teeth from the dentist. You can thank me in writing. Yours sincerely, your husband.”

5. In England, all men over the age of 14 must carry out two hours of longbow practice a day


Image source - Upyourego
I have lived in England all my life and was never told that I had to notch up two hours practice of my longbow every day after I turned 14! Firstly, I’ve never even owned a longbow. Secondly, I don’t even want to consider how many hours of practice I owe. And thirdly, if it’s the law shouldn’t this practice be introduced into the national curriculum? It could easily replace the egg and spoon race on sports day!
6. In Texas, if you are going to commit a crime, you legally have to give 24 hours notice to the police

Image source - Wpclipart
“Hello officer. I thought I should let you know that I’m planning on robbing the bank down the road tomorrow. It should be exactly 24-hours from now. Luckily I remembered to let you know. Wouldn’t want to be breaking the law now would I!”

7. In Baltimore, Maryland, taking a lion to the cinema is illegal


Image source - Manxradio
“I’m sorry Simba. I know I promised you could come with me to watch The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe but I’ve just found out it’s against the law for me to take you to the cinema. It’s unfortunate we live in Baltimore. What’s that? Your uncle Scar was once the MGM mascot!? Well, your uncle was also a notorious villain so that’s probably why you’re not allowed to come. I promise to bring you back some salted popcorn.”

8. In Cannes, France, wearing a Jerry Lewis mask is illegal


Image source - Wikipedia
Of all the people in the world, why Jerry Lewis? He must either be revered as a God in Cannes or did something to really piss them off! Do they even make Jerry Lewis masks? I can imagine someone attending a fancy dress party in Cannes where the theme is dressing up as your favourite comedian being thrown in jail: “What are you in here for?” “I killed my partner. And you?” “Oh I wore a Jerry Lewis mask.”

9. In Switzerland flushing the toilet after 10 pm where the person lives in an apartment is illegal


Image source - Elsa Elsa
Now I’ve heard of disturbing the peace but this law is over the top, right? Besides this law is not specific enough. I mean, when are the Swiss allowed to flush their toilets again? How long must the digested Swiss cheese and chocolate be allowed to fester in their toilets for? I would hate to need to use the toilet after 10pm if my flat-mate had just been in there ridding the vindaloo they’d consumed earlier! Not good. And I thought the Swiss were an articulate and cultured bunch.

10. In Victoria, Australia, it is illegal to wear pink hot pants after midday on a Sunday


Image source - Weblo
“I don’t care how hot you look in those pink hot pants Miss, the law is the law. It’s 12.01pm, the day is Sunday, and we are in Victoria, Australia. You are now officially breaking the law and have to take those hot pants off!” Surely asking a woman to do such a thing would be illegal in itself wouldn’t it…
Share it Please

Barbie Dolly

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Amazing. Designed by | Love for